• Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act

FATCA will increase information reporting by foreign financial institutions, non-financial foreign entities, and certain U.S. persons holding financial assets outside the United States.

  • 2012 Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program

The IRS offers an offshore voluntary disclosure program to help people get current with their taxes. The current program is open for an indefinite period until otherwise announced.

  • Transfer Pricing Audit Roadmap Now Available

The Transfer Pricing Audit Roadmap is a toolkit organized around a notional 24-month audit timeline. It provides recommended audit procedures and links to reference material. It is not intended as a template. Every transfer pricing case is unique and requires the exercise of judgment and discretion.

  • IBC – TPP Rules of Engagement

This document provides general guidelines and rules of engagement for IBC and TPP in the examination of transfer pricing issues.

  • Help with Tax Questions – International Taxpayers

If you’ve looked around our site and still didn’t find the answer to your general tax question for International Taxpayers, we’d like to help.

  • Qualified Intermediaries (QI)

A Qualified Intermediary (QI) is any foreign intermediary (or foreign branch of a U.S. intermediary) that has entered into a qualified intermediary withholding agreement with the IRS. A QI is entitled to certain simplified withholding and reporting rules.

  • U.S. Withholding Agent Program

Focus enforcing compliance through examinations and voluntary compliance of withholding tax on foreign payments. Responsibilities include coordinating exams and training exam teams, consulting with internal/externals stakeholders, and providing guidance to ensure consistent treatment for taxpayers.

  • Internal Revenue Service International Visitors’ Program (IVP)

The purpose of the International Visitors Program is to introduce the Internal Revenue Service as one of the world’s premier tax systems to interested countries.

  • Income from Abroad is Taxable

There have been recent reports about the interest of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in taxpayers with bank accounts in Liechtenstein. The IRS’ interest, however, extends beyond bank accounts in Liechtenstein to financial accounts anywhere in the world. The IRS reminds you to report your worldwide income on your U.S. tax return and lists the possible consequences of hiding income overseas.

  • U.S. Citizens by Birth or through a U.S. Citizen Parent

All persons born in the United States are U.S. citizens. This is the case regardless of the tax or immigration status of a person’s parents. Furthermore, a person born outside the United States may also be a U.S. citizen at birth if at least one parent is a U.S. citizen and has lived in the United States for a period of time.

  • U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

This section covers tax topics for U.S. citizens or resident aliens living overseas.

  • Taxation of Nonresident Aliens

The U.S. source income of nonresident aliens is subject to U.S. taxation.

  • Taxation of U.S. Resident Aliens

A resident alien’s income is generally subject to tax in the same manner as a U.S. citizen.

  • References for Foreign Students and Scholars

Aliens temporarily present in the United States as students, trainees, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors, and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income.

  • Tax Withholding on Foreign Persons

This section covers tax withholding topics for payments made to U.S. citizens abroad or aliens employed both in the United States and abroad. This section also covers tax withholding and reporting rules on payments of U.S. source income made to foreign persons.

  • Tax Treaties

Tax treaties may allow residents of foreign countries to be taxed at a reduced rate, or to be exempt from U.S. income taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States.

  • Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN)

A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is an identification number used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws.

  • Taxation of Foreign Athletes and Entertainers

This section describes the special rules which affect the taxation of foreign athletes and entertainers who have income sourced in the United States.

  • Alien Taxation – Certain Essential Concepts

This section describes certain essential concepts involved in the taxation of aliens.

  • Classification of Taxpayers for U.S. Tax Purposes

This section will help you determine if you are a “Foreign Person” or a “United States person” for U.S. tax purposes.

  • Determining Alien Tax Status

If you are an alien (not a U.S. citizen), you are considered a nonresident alien unless you meet the Green Card test or the Substantial Presence test.

  • Taxation of Dual-Status Aliens

You are a dual-status alien when you have been both a resident alien and a nonresident alien in the same tax year.

  • Special Categories of Alien Workers

For U.S. tax purposes, Au Pairs and Farm Workers may be treated differently than others.

  • Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

If you own a foreign bank account, brokerage account, mutual fund, unit trust, or other financial account, then you may be required to report the account yearly to the Internal Revenue Service.

  • New Developments in International Taxation

This section provides the latest news on international taxes.

  • Miscellaneous International Tax Issues

This section covers subjects not previously discussed.

  • Frequently Asked Questions – International Taxpayers

Frequently Asked Questions for Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

Source: IRS